Everyday, millions of Americans visit pawn shops when they are in need of some cash. Unforeseen events and emergencies lead them to use personal possessions as collateral for short term loans. If you ever find yourself about to transact with a pawn broker, here are some things to remember that will guarantee not only your safety, but will also ensure you that you are getting your item’s worth.
First of all, you must keep in mind that pawn shops such as Major Pawn are legitimate operating businesses. They are not the shady hole-in-the-wall establishments portrayed in some movies. We are a state regulated pawn shop in New York which makes our interest rates lower than others. We are bound by law not to charge you more than a 3% base interest rate per month.
Being a privately owned business, we are able to continually serve you by generating profit. Remember that pawning or selling will only give you a percentage of your item’s worth. Do not expect to get a full retail price on your item. What Major Pawn can assure you is that we will give you an accurate appraisal on your gold, silver, jewelry, coins, watches, and other valuable possessions. We will always give you a loan/price that is fair to both of us.
We make pawning and selling easy and hassle-free for you. Unlike other pawn shops, we do not require running a credit check on you beforehand. As long as you are at least 18 years old and have a valid I.D. with you, you can do business with us. You can be in and out of our store with your needed cash in hand in a matter of minutes.
We understand that most of the customers who come into our store pawn items that have great sentimental value to them. You do not have to worry about your valuables because we keep everything in a safe deposit. They are licensed, bonded, insured, and will be returned to you in the same condition as you left them.
Speaking of condition, another advantage of choosing Major Pawn is that we accept items in any condition. Some pawn shops only accept those that are in perfect shape. But we accept broken jewelry, watches, and anything else made from valuable material. We do not care how long you’ve used an item as long as we still see potential value in it.
Once you have left an item with us, you are by no means obligated to come back for it and repay your loan. We operate by a “no strings attached” policy that a lot of our customers find convenient.
Remember though that if the deadline expires and you do not pay, unless you ask for an extension, the ownership of your item will transfer to us. We are free to resell it in our shop.
Finally, we are a pawn shop that puts customer service above all. We want you to leave our store feeling good about the transaction. You are free to negotiate with us and ask us questions.
Other important reminders
- If you want to get as much money as possible, be sure to offer us something valuable. Gold, jewelry, and diamonds will almost always guarantee a high loan amount because these are things that can appreciate in value. We are not too excited about gadgets, electronic devices, and other things that are dated or could be obsolete in a few years.
- Do not be offended if we ask you questions about the ownership of the item. It is legally stipulated that only the owner of the item is allowed to offer it to a pawn shop.
- Never lose your ticket because without it, you will not be able to reclaim your item.
- Try not to wait until the last minute to reclaim your item. We always send a notice 30 days prior to the expiration of your 4-month contract.
- Make sure that you understand all the terms of our agreement. If you have any questions, we will be more than happy to answer them for you.
If you want a trusted and reliable pawn shop with years of experience, visit a Major Pawn branch near you.